Thursday, March 10, 2011

Traveling with a Bug

Dear Bug,

This weekend Mommy took you on your very first plane ride to see Grandma and Grandpa in New York.  Daddy couldn't come with us because he had to work, so it was just you and me.  I thought flying would be easier than driving, and I was probably right.  But flying with you definitely was not easy.

First of all, when we got to Baltimore Daddy was a nervous wreck.  He was so afraid that something would happen to me and you on the plane and that we wouldn't get to New York safely.  That made Mommy worry.  But after Daddy calmed down, Mommy still had to deal with airport security.  That totally sucked.  You were in your Ergo, so you were all comfy and cozy and being such a good boy.  But the airport people had to check your breastmilk to make sure there were no explosives in it, scan your stroller and my breastpump, and I had to carry you through security in my arms, and not in your Ergo.  Trying to hold you, fold up the stroller, unscrew the breastmilk bottles, take off my shoes, show my boarding pass, and do all this quickly so that I didn't make the person behind me mad, was exhausting.  But seriously, I felt like freaking Super-mom when I was done.  A veritable woman warrior for sure.

You were so good on the plane.  When we got to our seats you wanted to do jumps until we took off.  I fed you a bottle so that your ears wouldn't pop, and then you made smiley faces and giggled with the little girl in front of us the entire time.  Her name was Cassidy, and she was 11 months old.  You love those older women.  Anyway, everyone on the plane said you were such the perfect gentleman on the flight.  Thank God, because handling all your gear in the airport was very stressful for Mommy.  If you had been a cranky Bug, things would have been so much worse.

You had fun with Grandma and Grandpa this weekend.  Grandma hugged you and played with you and sang to you.  She did all this at 5 in the morning, so Mommy could sleep a little.  Grandma rocks for this.  Aunt Warnen also got to spend some time with you.  You and she went on a "Bear Hunt," which you liked.  I think you liked it because it involved a lot of jumping.


You also got to spend a lot of time with Grandpa this weekend.  He's an odd old coot.  He made you a birdhouse and had Aunt Warnen decorate it and put your name on it.  He kept taking you to the back door to show you the Birdies that were moving in.  He thought they would move in soon, because, after all, Aunt Warnen had written "Welcome Birdies" on the birdhouse.  What bird wouldn't feel right at home?  Anyway, as of this posting the Birdies had yet to move in.  But don't worry, Grandpa is keeping Mommy updated.  And now you have something to do when you go visit Grandma and Grandpa in the springtime.




It was nice having Mommy-Buggie time this weekend.  We spent a lot of time alone together.  We had the flight, of course, but then we had all night to snuggle.  It was rough on Mommy, because usually Daddy takes you for a little while at night, but this weekend it was all on me.  It was nice, though.  You're the most precious thing to wake up to.  And I loved our bonding time.  But we were both so happy to come home to Daddy after the weekend was over.  You smiled so big when you saw him, and he grabbed you from me and squeezed you so tight!  I think it will be a long time before we travel without Daddy again, because we miss him so much when we're away!

I love you to the moon, and back!
Mommy


1 comment:

  1. I agree....next you go somewhere overnight is with both of us or none of us. I miss him too much! I am so glad both of you are back home.

    ReplyDelete