Friday, March 25, 2011

A Working Mommy

Dear Bug,

It's been awhile since I've written to you!  I'm sorry, but work has been kind of busy the last two weeks.  I spend my days poring over cases and regulations and writing responses to pleadings - I almost never get to write you a letter or look at your cute little face in the pictures I have on my computer.  I push myself so hard during the day, though, so I can be home in time for your dinner and - of course - bedtime.  I can't, and won't, miss that for the world.

All this working has gotten me thinking about being a working mom.  I always intended to have a career - a successful career - and worked my whole life to get where I am today.  Mommy went to college, then graduate school, and finally law school, and worked her butt off for years so that she could be a successful career-woman.  I always thought women who stayed at home were kind of lame and set the Women's Rights Movement back a few paces (this is not to be taken as a criticism of your grandmother, however, who stayed home with Mommy and Aunt Warnen when we were little - we think grandma rocks!).  I used to go out with a boy in high school whose mom stayed home and I always felt so bad for her - like her life was boring and meaningless.  I swore I would never let that happen to me.  I wouldn't let my mind go to waste and I would make a difference in this world, come hell or high water.  So I worked and worked, and got good grades and went to nice, expensive schools and became an environmental lawyer.  I landed a good job and make a nice living.  I'm involved in a prestigious profession and am surrounded by people who care about having careers.  I reached the goal I've had since I was a little girl.  But...

But then you were born.  Even before I was pregnant with you I intended to be a full-time working mom.  I was not going to let all the years and money I spent on school go to waste.  I was not going to lose who I was to become a stay-at-home mom.  I wasn't going to spend my days watching children's television or talking baby talk or whatever.  When I went out with my friends I was going to have more to talk about than poopy diapers or teething.  I wasn't going to "lose myself" in motherhood.  That was the intention, even when you were growing in my belly.  I can't believe now how greatly I failed to understand what being a mother would really mean.

I was lucky enough to get 12 weeks of maternity leave after you were born.  So, for three months it was just you and me, all day, every day.  I absolutely dreaded going back to work because I LOVED the time you and I spent together.  We had our own little routine down, and I don't remember a time in my life when I was happier.  The day I started back to work, Daddy put you in your carseat to take you to Eliana's, and I just cried.  I cried all the way to work and through a good portion of the day.  I almost killed myself on the parkway that afternoon getting home to you.  And when I finally got there I hugged you so tight and didn't let you go the rest of the night.  For the first two weeks back to work I cried nearly every morning, mostly in the car on the way to the office so Daddy wouldn't see.  Even now, I get really sad the night before my workweek is about to start because I know how much I'll miss you.

Since I've been back to work, I've realized a few things.  First, I know I would give up everything - my great job, my paycheck, my career, my law degree - everything I worked so hard to get, in order to stay home and be your mom full-time.  I would do it in a heartbeat.  I love that you and Daddy have a great relationship, but I get SO JEALOUS that he gets to spend so much time with you, and that sometimes you prefer to play with him.  But that's only part of it.  I want to stay home because I realize that being a mom - being your mom - is so much more important than anything I can do in my office or as a lawyer in general.  And it wouldn't bore me at all - I would love every second of it.  That's the other thing I realized - that being a stay-at-home mom doesn't mean that all my education would be wasted, or that I'd be bored or boring to others.  Because, after all, everything I've learned in my life - everything I've ever done - has just been in preparation to do the most important job ever - being your mom.  I also realized that I could never "lose myself" in motherhood, because that suggests that I'm something other than a mother, too, and I know now that I'm not.  Yes, I'm a lawyer, and a wife, and a daughter, and a sister, and a friend, but "MOM" is the overrarching term that describes who I am now.  I'm always "mom," even when I'm also "lawyer" and "wife."  There is no losing myself in that, because it is myself.  If that makes any sense at all...  :)   Anyway, I totally understand now why staying at home is completely fulfilling to some women, and I think it's a credit to my sex that we're so happy to do - and capable of doing - such an important job.  In no way does being a full-time mom fly in the face of gender equality.

As much as everything I've said is true, the bottom line is, I need to work.  Mommy spent A LOT of money on law school.  A LOT.  So, Daddy and I need the money I bring home to keep a roof over your head.  But I also think I work for another, more important reason:  to be a good role model for you.  I want you to grow up seeing your mom, a woman, as a smart, successful person.  I want you to see that our family works very well by inverting the traditional gender role of the man being the breadwinner.  I want you to see that Daddy and I work very much together to do this.  And I want you to learn that women can be everything - loving mommies, and awesome career women.  Maybe that will be the most important lesson you learn from me.

I love you to the moon, and back!
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment